Jewelry Store Security Services Houston
Jewelry stores lose approximately $125 million annually to robbers. Police also report that 10 to 15 cases of homicide occur during these robberies every year. Beyond the statistics, people lose their wealth, and in some cases, lose their lives. Generally, jewelry stores are prime targets for robbers due to the perceived high returns. It is therefore important to take necessary precautions if you own a jewelry store.
A quick scan at the pages of most of Houston newspapers reveal that smash-and-grab thieves' strikes aimed at jewelry stores are becoming fairly common nowadays. The story line is always the same - thugs get into the store, smash display cases, grab the jewels, and escape in a waiting car. On February 22, Gordon's Jewelers in First Colony Mall was a victim of a smash-and-grab type of robbery. According to the reports, three hooded men stormed the store armed with hammers, smashed the cases, and then escaped with watches and other valuables.
Considering these robberies are becoming very common, it's accurate to say that any jewelry store in the Houston area can fall victim anytime. But this does not necessarily have to be so; there are a number of precautions which can deter robberies.
Our Approach to Safety
Protect Your Jewelry Store with the Following Steps:
- Contact a jewelry store security company to get a security guard to protect your store. Should you need a guard, Pivotal Protection in Houston is an excellent choice for properly trained guards.
- Avoid closing the store alone. The wise thing to do is lock the doors as someone watches over you, just in case.
- Never let in a person unfamiliar person into the store before or after business hours.
- Install door bells or chimes to alert you that someone has entered the store.
- If possible, the design of your store should be such that quick exit is possible to avoid armed confrontation in case a robber gains access and is trying to escape.
- It's advisable that at least two employees should always be at the floor of the store. A single employee is a fair game and would-be-robbers may attempt to rob.
- Make a point of noticing every person that enters the store, and greet them. Criminals hate being noticed.
- Purchase burglary resistant glass. It will slow the smashing of cases in case of robbery. Install a visible one-way mirror. A potential robber in the premises may get the impression that someone may be watching them through the mirror.
- Develop a code that can be used to call the attention of employees should a suspicious person be spotted. The code could be an innocuous phrase such as, "Did Mr. Bean download that movie last night?" such a phrase cannot disturb customers, but will heighten employees vigilance. Others include: pretend to call the police if you notice a highly suspicious person, put merchandise in different cases, and keep valuable jewelry and in place keep decoys in cases.
Jewelry Store Security Guards Houston
Taking precautions obviously is good, but the best weapon against jewelry store robberies is to employ proper deterrent methods.
Hiring a jewelry store security guard is perhaps the best deterrent.
A guard is always on the lookout for a suspicious character, and the potential robber knows he has to deal with the guard after robbery.
This will make a would-be-robber think twice before striking.
To learn more about our Houston jewelry store security services, please call now for a no-obligation security consultation 832-462-7120.